Grace and Zoar Churches are joining together to battle illiteracy by helping kids who can’t afford what they need for school.
Starting in the month of July, both churches will be collecting backpacks and school supplies to be given to the elementary school in their area. Zoar’s supplies will be given to Crestview Elementary, and Grace’s supplies will go to Chandler Creek Elementary.
Both schools have a large percentage of students that qualify for free or reduced lunches. Often, these families are unable to send their children to school fully equipped with the supplies they need to be successful students.
We can change their lives and their future by helping to provide a backpack filled with supplies.
On Sunday, August 16th, at both services we will do a backpack blessing. The children of each church are invited to bring their backpacks to be blessed, too.
Both churches responded to the Million Book effort with great enthusiasm and generosity and made a huge difference. Let’s do the same at the local level for our two schools.
Here’s listing of the supplies that are most needed:
- Full-sized backpack (no rolling)
- White copy paper
- Wide ruled notebook filler paper
- Composition Notebooks (not spiral)
- Packs of colored crayons (24 count)
- #2 pencils (no logos or advertisements, plain yellow works best)
- Glue sticks (not liquid)
- Dry erase markers (black and colors)
- Headphones for computer lab
- Hand sanitizer
- Scissors (child safety type)
- 1” three ring binder
- Ziploc bags, quart and gallon